Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Monday 24 November 2014

Croydon Remembers

As seems to be usual for me I have had a very busy weekend.   Sunday was spent between Church and daughter, both of which where very good, but come under the general heading of "another story" but Saturday was the Croydon International Transgender Day of Remembrance, which I was to lead.

Others have written extensively about the desolation of these events, the sadness we all feel as we remember those victims of hate crime.   The shear length of the list of names, which ever list you use, is simply too long.   The individual tragedies each name represents, the youth, hope, and future snatched away ~ as the names were read out on Saturday I realised that every person on the list was younger than me.   I thank God that since he made this way I was born in England in the second half of the twentieth century, I am protected by law and convention, most of the time the worst I have to fear is derision, in Brazil death is an everyday occurrence.

The event in London was much better attended, much more "Complete" with several contributors reading poetry, singing, or making a small speech, yet our event in Croydon was just as poignant, and indeed pertinent, giving local people and those who cannot make a midweek event and opportunity to remember and to show respect.

Thank you to everyone who attended, to those who did all the organisation (all I did was say a few words, and front the event), and an especial thank you to Vanessa from Vanessa Law Photography for the pictures.

No comments: