Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Friday 23 September 2011

Terrible Fashion

No I don't mean that I find fashion terrible, more that there is a growing fashion in my neck of the woods that I find, well awful, maybe even a wee bit disgusting.   What are the offending items - well primarily leggings.

Not just leggings in general, I think leggings can be quite nice, especially if worn under a flouncy frock or with a nice tunic top, indeed I do have some myself, as you can see on the left, and I rather like the look; a nice way of being casual without resorting to jeans and remaining very feminine.   What I am objecting to is a sight I have seen too often over the last couple of weeks. 

The first time I thought that I had just spotted a girl with a serious wardrobe malfunction, but after the fifth or sixth time I think it might be a trend.   Leggings worn with a top that only reaches to the waist so that the shape of the bottom is clearly visible is a bit tacky, combined with flat or no heel shoes I do not like, but the really nasty bit is when the leggings are so thin that the girls pants are clearly visible through the material.   It just looks as though the girl is wearing tights and has forgotten to put on her skirt.

My daughter assures me that the fault lies with Primark, in their efforts to keep prices lower than ever they are now marketing leggings that are actually thinner and more see through than a lot of tights.   There are situations where I might quite enjoy seeing a girl in her underwear, but not walking down Sidcup High Street at ten in the morning!

Three questions come to mind
  1. Do these people have mirrors?
  2. What are their parents doing letting them go out dressed like that? (they have all bee teenage girls so far)
  3. How cheap and nasty does something have to be before no one will buy it?
So if any of you have these nasty cheap leggings please please get rid of them now, or at very least make sure that your knickers don't show, it's just not nice.

1 comment:

lori said...

Q: Do these people have mirrors?
A: Maybe, but just like the ones in cars, they don't use them. They are just there to add light to the place :)

Q: What are their parents doing letting them go out dressed like that? (they have all bee teenage girls so far)
A: Well, around here, 50% are single parents and the politically correct thought is to give them a pass because "they are too busy working" to pay attention to their children with clothes or homework or anything else.

Q: How cheap and nasty does something have to be before no one will buy it?
A: When Old Navy goes out of business, we'll find out - but it'll be a first :)