Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Tuesday 20 March 2012

I drink too much

In one of my favourite sitcoms "The fall and rise of Reggie Perrin" at one point the hero is asked if he drinks, he answers "Only to excess".   I have been waiting for years to be ale to use this line, now it looks as though I may have a chance.   As part of a new NHS strategy I have been called in to see the nurse at my GP's practise for some tests and an interview o find out why I haven't yet been diagnosed with heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes.   I take more than average exercises simply through working, I eat a fairly balanced diet, I don't smoke but I do drink more (quite a lot more actually) than government guide lines.   I'm afraid I am one of those people who cannot have a quick drink, one just tells me how much I will enjoy the next one.   I am reminded of the comment from a GP friend of mine, the definition of an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor.


The reason for these ramblings, I weighed myself this morning and I am 12 stone 3 pounds (167lbs) which is a little more than I am usually at this time of year.   This year for the first time in years I have not given up drinking for lent.   Knowing just how busy I was going to be with music, church and work activities I thought it would be too much for me, I may have been right, but it also means I am still carrying a little more weight than if I had given up.


Over the next couple of weeks in the lead up to Easter I intend too make a positive effort to drink a little less ~ with at least one and try for two alcohol free days each week ~ at to try to lose a few pounds too get under the 12 stone mark.   It seems strange but I can feel the different those few pounds make, it seems strange because until relatively recently I was usually a couple of stone above that.

2 comments:

CallMeMeg said...

I absolutely LOVE Reginald Perrin. It was the best Britcom ever ~ and I include Fawlty Towers.

And it's sad that when Leonard Rossiter had a role on a Pink Panther movie and he sat in a "flatulent" chair, I was the only one who got it. It just never made much of a splash here in the states.

LL Cool Joe said...

Drink is my weakness too. I never get drunk, but like you, one drink isn't really enough. I am trying to lose weight, so I should cut back as well.