Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 1 April 2012

Shopping

For someone who claims not to like or "do" shopping P went at it with a vengeance, in a few weeks she is going on holiday and wanted some summer clothes, she strongly resisted my suggestion of some white linen trousers but did decide to try a couple of pairs of beige trouser and few tops.   By the time we got to the changing rooms I had one garment to try on (the grey dress I wanted a second opinion on) and P had five! and it was me that wanted to go shopping.
There was quite a queue for the ladies changing rooms, so P asked if we could use the men's, the woman at the door said no, she couldn't allow any women into the men's changing rooms, on the same basis that she wasn't allowed to let any men into the women's, just in case (the unsaid but muttered by P "just in case you are molested" at which he lady in front of us turned round and said "I should be so lucky") so we had to wait patiently in turn for a space. I let P go first (as she had more try on) and she quipped that for a lady I was a real gentleman, still no one seemed to tweak.
I followed P into a separate changing room after much zip struggling I got on the dress and went outside to show off.   P and another couple of ladies gave their approval, in turn I gave my approval of a couple of the tops P had selected, but not the trousers.   As I came out of the changing room there was a lady standing outside her cubicle wearing just a top and her panties chatting with a sales assistant, she looked directly at me as I came out, then carried on chatting.   P came out a little after with her selection, and we carried on.   when we came to pay again there was quite a lot of banter as I had a loyalty card and P doesn't and her purchases were initially rung up wrong.   I had not briefed P at all on the use of pronouns, but on all occasions she got it right, always referring to me as she or her, we were very much just two girlfriends out shopping together.

Now although P claims not to be a girly girl our little expedition today gave me more of an insight into the female world than dressing up and going out on my own ever could ~ and I have to say I loved every moment of it.

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

You were very brave, I've avoided the changing room environment my whole life, because it brings me out in a cold sweat. Every insight you give me into the "female" world just reminds why I HAD to transition. :)

Paula said...

I have been in the ladies changing rooms before, buut always on my own, I woudl go in pull the curtain(or close the door) change, make up my mind, change back and come out. The revelation this time was going with someone else, popping in and out of the changing room exchanging oppinions. I must say I particularly enjyed the conversation about not letting men into the ladies changing rooms, so Joe would have had a clear run in all the empty rooms on that side while Paula had to wait in line.

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha, ha, yeah that would have been fun. :D