Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 7 June 2012

I know just how he feels

This morning's Luann struck a chord here as my daughter wants to go into the entertainment business.   Initially she wanted to act, but some of her passion for the stage has diminished.   However none of her passion for music has faded at all. Her current aim is to be a music producer.   She certainly has all the technical ability and has a very good ear, I an just nervous that she should choose to go into something quite so precarious.
Having spent a fair bit of time either as a musician or knocking around the fringes of the business I know just how precarious a career it can be.   Of course I also know how satisfying and how much fun it can be as well.   I would quite like her to go into law or accountancy, something secure and lucrative so she can keep the old man in comfort when I can't lift a spade anymore.   Anyway I'm not going to put my foot down or force her into any early decisions, again from my own experience I know how things can change, I think I am currently on my fourth career.

Otherwise it is all work at the moment, I have slightly more than I can manage and in consequence am very tired.   I have made a decision that I will not work this weekend, and further that I will be going out on Saturday night to my support group meeting.   As well as giving me something to look forward to, it gives me another decision to make, what to wear.   If the weather stays like this I may get out my boots again and go for the skinny jeans or leggings with a cotton tunic ~ we'll see

1 comment:

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

I know exactly how you feel; my younger son graduated from college with a degree in theater. When he started, he wanted to be an actor--we were concerned, but supported his goal. By graduation, he had switched to screenwriter--still a precarious position, but one where success is much less dependent on things like looks.

What's more, as a journalist, I covered the entertainment industry and knew a lot of writers. They are mostly down to earth, hard-working types. I can be happy he wants to pursue that career.