Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Labels

I started writing this as a response to Joe's comment on my last post, when I was starting a third paragraph I realised that it was a bit long for a comment and should probably be a post in it's own right, so here goes,

As with so many things there is a wide spectrum, I only used these labels as I wanted to separate those of us who are only transitory, from those who are permanent or in transition.   One of the troubles with labels is that they mean different things to different people, I am happy calling myself a cross dresser, after all that's what I do, yet I am uncomfortable with transvestite, and am not sure what trans gender really means.   I am beginning to wonder if there is some sort of hierarchy, you know like "they're a transvestite, you're a cross dresser, I'm trans gender"
All of these terms mean basically the same thing, something quite different from who you are, Joe.   I can quite understand that it would be hurtful to be so misunderstood.   I know I was quite hurt a while back while I was taunted as being gay.   There is nothing wrong with being gay it's just that I'm not.   While all of us on this spectrum share some things in common the basic compulsion what drives us, is different, while some activities and techniques may be similar our motivations are very different. I know I am a man born in a man's body, it's just that sometimes I want to look, behave and be treated like a woman ~ sometimes, but I know I am not, and don't want to be permanently., this is very different from wanting to make the outside match the inside.   If you like it is the difference between a hobby and a lifestyle.
For Dougie
When I was at school I had a friend who had trombone lessons with me, he was a couple of years older than me, and was a good trombone player, he later became an RAF pilot and was killed in action during the Falklands conflict, one of the things I will always remember was as a small boy he was obsessed with trains, and he would become one, he didn't play at being a train, he was a train.   Well when I am dressed I am still playing at being a woman, I realise that I don't yet get to that point where I am a woman.   The situation for others is very different and indeed one day it may be for me as well.   So for someone like Joe to crossdress would require him to dress like a woman, and calling him a cross dresser is to totally misunderstand his situation, that is why it is hurtful, but we throw these labels around quite easily without fully realising or understanding how they are appropriate or what they really mean.

Sorry this is a little rambling rather than a well thought out coherent argument, but like me this thought is very much a work in  progress.

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Thanks for this post. :) Labels are so hard but sometimes necessary because we often need to define ourselves.

I call myself transgender because I read up on the subject I found that the definition of a transgender person appeared to fit me perfectly. I have many other labels too and I'm happy to use them if they come from me but not if someone else gives me one.

If you don't fit into "normal" gender boxes it's important to find a label to define yourself. Sometimes more for us than anything else. It helps for example when I don't pass, I can rationalise it in my mind, "well okay that's because I'm a transman" not a "fill in your own word". In a sense it's a coping mechanism for me too.

Pretty Sissy Dani said...

I always think of "transgender" as being an umbrella term for all of the various parts of the spectrum, from cross-dresser to transsexual. As to the differences between cross-dresser and transvestite: I think they're synonymous, but like you, I prefer cross-dresser. Transvestite simply sounds too clinical and people don't get the difference from transsexual.

Diana Nicole B said...

i agree with Dani in that i have become verrry comfortable with the term "transgendered" even though i am not transitioning. mainly because when i am out as diana i feel i really am diana.
i too never really liked transvestite and yet... when one thinks about it the word "trans " is in both transvestite and transsexual. so transgendered really is a umbrella term for both. especially when it is not used in a fetish form.
i asked my neighbor, who is in the psychology field, if there was any chance of schizophrenia and he said "no because you know who your male self is even when out as diana"
the interesting thing is though as i have come out to soooo many people once i have opened up the conversation about being transgendered but not transitioning after that i don't mind saying i am a cd or even a transvestite.
i usually tell a little joke about the 3 forms of the word cd.
in the usa there is the band money cd (certificate of deposit)next there is the music cd disk and 3rd and finally there is me a cd. LOL
i say use what ever description you feel comfortable with.