Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 30 August 2012

A lovely evening

This evening I went out to dinner with my good friend and colleague S.   Regular readers will remember that I came out to her a few months ago, but tonight was the first time she met Paula.   We have been friends for a long time, probably more years than either of us would prefer to admit to, and have been working together for a couple of years now as well, so this was a bit of a risk.   We arranged to meet for dinner before I asked if she would be happy if I came as Paula, and was very pleased when she agreed, her only expressed concern was whether she would recognise me.
I thought it best to not wear anything too outrageous like the leather miniskirt or my purple leopard print tights.   I was sure that my black midi dress with white spots would be perfect.   I added a white leather belt and a white cotton cardigan, I thought I looked pretty good, I worried a little that I was rather overdressed, but then I was going out to dinner.   We met at a pub near the restaurant, and no problem S recognised me straight away, but with some surprise.   Her first comment was "I didn't expect you to be so convincing" YEA, later she modified this to "I didn't expect you to be blond"   I was assured that I looked good and more than that that I passed.   S did say she was surprised how good I looked, which did quite a lot for my ego, certainly rather different to how she sees me at work.   After a couple of drinks we crossed the road to the restaurant, the staff were welcoming and friendly and the other customers ignored us, I think that just like in the pub we were seen as a couple of middle aged women out for the evening.

It was a bit special to just chat with this lovely lady who I have known for so long, but now as another girl; as I observed yesterday the whole dynamic is different.   Somehow I had more freedom to talk about subjects I wouldn't as a man, it was fun to talk about my discoveries of some aspects of being a woman, as well as gossip about work, bands and mutual friends.

2 comments:

Maeve said...

Have you considered attending something like this? http://www.espritconf.com/

This is probably too far away. It has been going on for 22 years. You are completely accepted by attendees and the townspeople alike and they have all sorts of classes and fun events. I hear that the shopping is great with a lot of hard to find items such as really nice shoes in larger sizes.

Paula said...

This is not realy my sort of thing, and yes the otherside of the world s too far away, but I thought it may be of interest to some of you girls in the US