Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 20 September 2012

Saw that one comming

I mentioned earlier that it was my birthday at the weekend, and then again that on Monday I met my friend B for a drink and to collect a birthday gift.   Having recently been made redundant my friend has being doing some work for me, he made a point of saying that he didn't want to give me my gift wen he was meeting me at my home to do some work, but on a separate occasion.   Since I had only recently come out to him, and I know that times he can be a little mischievous I was a little concerned.
It crossed my mind that he might have bought something frilly and "inappropriate" and then have me open the parcel in the pub.   This was in part my motivation for meeting him as Paula, dressed formally and conservatively, rather than as him dressed casually.   Then if I did have to open a parcel in public that contained some frillys from the Ann Summer catalogue, then maybe he would end up more embarrassed than me.

Dr Sheldon Cooper

What did I get? an electric reciprocating saw!   As usual what we worry about never happens, but of course now I have something else to worry about As the great Sheldon Cooper said:
 "You bought me a present? Why would you do such a thing? I know you think you're being generous, but the foundation of gift giving is reciprocity. You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation. The essence of the custom is that I now have to go out and purchase for you a gift of commensurate value and representing the same perceived level of friendship as that represented by the gift you've given me. Ah, it's no wonder suicide rates skyrocket this time of year. Oh, I brought this on myself by being such an endearing and important part of your life..." of course he was talking about Christmas, but the principle still applies, now I have to find a suitable, appropriate gift for his birthday next week.

By the way I choose the picture as it just seemed so appropriate a way to illustrate Sheldon's views in this context, the picture comes from "The Five Labours of Sheldon"

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

The saw sounds cool, the Anne Summers stuff, less so. :D

We are so different, right? :D

Paula said...

I haven't used the saw yet, but am looking forward to it. I have a couple of jobs coming up where it should be very useful and I trust a little fun, more fun than anything in the Ann Summers catalogue anyway. It's our differences that make us special! I can almost feel a post comming up on that.....

LL Cool Joe said...

I agree! And I look forward to the post. :)