Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Just one more in the group

Meg wrote today about her experience going to a GLBT gamers group, now it has to be said that computer gaming is not my thing, but then we are all different, and that's part of what makes the "trans community" so diffuse, what struck me was the level of acceptance she received.   Acceptance bordering on indifference now it seems to me that this is what we should expect when ever and where ever we go out.   Meg said that no one commented on her outfit, well that is what happens in the "real" world with "real" women, it is just that within the "trans community" we are so insulated and we are so desperate to give and receive approval from each other that we will compliment each other on our clothes, our make up, out whole presentation, maybe whether it deserves it or not.
Back in the “real world” people just get on with their lives, mostly regardless of who is wearing what, so no, other gamers will not notice what you are wearing, especially if it is in a declared GLBT environment.   This is what happened to me on Sunday evening, nobody said anything about how I was dressed, nobody commented on my makeup or my hair, why would they, I was just another member of the orchestra, and that is exactly what I was seeking.   The opportunity for Paula to be part of the orchestra.
This means that I am just a small part of what makes up the whole, that no one will notice what I am wearing, but will notice my bum notes, again that is the way orchestras work, I think it is part of integrating our trans woman into society, and if we do that in a society that claims GLBT credentials then surely we have to expect to just be accepted as part of the group.

1 comment:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm noticing this more and more myself. I realise a lot of the time I don't pass as a man, but there is no doubt I don't look like a woman in many ways either, but no one ever comments anymore. I used to get insults shouted at me, but now I don't. Actually I miss it because it makes me feel that I can't even be looking like a gender bender anymore.