Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 7 March 2013

Black Shoes

I am determined to complete my shoe themed week on track, I have looked at sexy shoes ~ although for some people that would be any shoes at all ~ I have looked at silly shoes, sensible shoes, elegant shoes and Doc Mits, we have had pink and red and patterned, now we have black shoes.

It struck me when I was thinking about what shes I have that most of my girl shoes and all of the boots are black.   I gather from others that this may not be unusual, it has to be said that black does go with just about everything except brown so that seems sensible, but when I look at my boy shoes I only currently have one pair of black.   I do need another more elegant pair for evening dress, but if it weren't for that I wouldn't bother, so maybe in this I am typical bloke as well as a typical girl.

Certainly my default shoe position as a bloke is either brown deck shoes or oxblood loafers, I only wear back shoes (or indeed my brown brogues) in fairly formal situations.  


In the days when I wore a suit and tie everyday for work I would have worn black more often, but then by the nature of my last few jobs they would mostly have been safety shoes!   Yet as a girl my default is a pair of black heels.   Maybe this is a reflection of the way I dress en femme, my style as a girl is certainly more formal than as a bloke so maybe the shoes are a reflection of this, on the other hand for me the shoes are an important part of being Paula (rather than being him in a dress) so maybe the more formal style is a reflection of my desire to wear the shoes.







Of course blandly saying black shoes covers a "multitude of sins" from the Dr Martens to the overtly errotic thigh boots, I may give a special prize to anyone spotting which of these photos is of the Dr Martens.

2 comments:

scalesman said...

Paula,
I have enjoyed your string about shoes. Like most my girl shoe collection is much larger than the combined shoe collection of my wife and my male self. Most are black. All are high heels mostely in the 2/5:-4.5" range. I have been shopping for a pair of flats for 5 years and still do not own any.

Your note in the 3/3 post about shoes that you only wear while walking into a restaurant reminded me of a conversation I had last week. There is a small primarily LGBT bar that I find quite accepting of me. Wednesday night is "Drag Bingo" I go when I can on midweek nights but the night that is easist for me to get out is Thursday.
Last week I was talking with the DQ who does Bingo. He is great, looks fantastic, is an expert with makeup and wigs and is very funny in a ribald way. This past Thursday he was en homme. He was complaining that the prior night he had a new pair of hooker shoes and after several hours on his feet calling Bingo he dogs were done.

I told him that whenever I go out I take a spare pair in the car. One pair I tend to wear driving to the venue then I change into my 'restaurant' shoes until they start to hurt and then I change back. Even if they are two pair of high heels I find that the spare pair helps me last an entire evening. I find that most shoes will hurt different parts of my feet even if they are of a similar design and heel height.

Having shared my heel wearing tip with my DQ buddy I am pleased to share it with you.

Pat

Joni Roberta said...

In the Air Force, I mostly wore black shoes with laces (preferably the ones that didn't need shining). I would have some loafers for relaxing, some kind of running/training shoes, and occasionally brown shoes just for variety.

Most of my girl shoes are black, but I do have a pair of yellow strap high heeled sandals (that I buried away somewhere) and some suede blue Softwalk flat sandals that are quite comfortable for something quick to slip on in the morning to let the dogs out or just for cool lounging around the house.

My first guess for the Doctor Martens was the boots, but the soles don't seem chunky enough. I think the spike heels with laces are the ones because they remind of a couple current offerings on Zappos.

I like the idea about carrying a change of shoes for outings.