Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 7 April 2013

A Good Day part 1

I had a great day yesterday, it was one of those days when things go right and you just don't want it all to end.   I had a quiet morning as the rest of the family enjoyed the chance of a lie in so I had a chance to waste some time surfing around the net, and then spent a little time tidying up my van.   This is a job that always seems to get put off as ore important, or urgent call are made on my time, driving and working are so much more pleasant when the van is a bit cleaner and more organised.

After that I had a nice bath and got my self ready for the afternoon, I even had bubbles in my bath courtesy of my wife YAH!

For the traveling and afternoon rehearsal I just wore a pair of jeans some ankle boots and a long red sweater I love, not so much for the look as the feel, it is one of those sweaters that make you want to curl up and cuddle in front of a fire.   Having checked on line about parking I drove up to town, had a nice stress free journey and parked very close to the venue, St Sepulchre's, but still managed to arrive just a little too late to rehearse the first piece.   The rest of the rehearsal was a little scary, the band was both better and louder than I had expected so I certainly had to stay on my toes to keep up.   Towards the end of the rehearsal I also stated to worry whether my lip would last.   I mostly only play the trombone in orchestras where I don't get a lot to do apart from count bars rest, but in a band I'm going most of the time.

Fortunately we had quite a long break before the concert, a group of us went out to find some food and had an Italian (late) lunch round a large table.   I really enjoyed this as it was a good opportunity to actually get to know a few of the others a bit better.   Interestingly once again it was the other girls who where most friendly.   I would like to think that I am being given access into the club of femininity, but given the nature of the band I suspect that it is either simpler, or more complicated than that, whatever I am just going to enjoy the experience.


Just for those of you who don't know, the bass trombone is (I think) just about the only instrument you only ever get one of, bass trombone is not a term that the sensitive would ever like to be plural! It is just about the most powerful instrument in a band or orchestra, so it is not unusual to be sitting still counting bars rest while the rest of the band are playing pretty loud, and then only come in for the absolute climax.   Because of the power and the slightly unwieldy nature of the instrument those of us who play it can be the butt of some jokes, and here are a few.
What's the difference between a bass trombone and a chain saw?
  1. Vibrato, though you can minimize this difference by holding the chain saw very still.
  2. It's easier to improvise on a chainsaw.

How do you know when a bass trombone player is at your door?
The doorbell drags.

What is a gentleman?
Somebody who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.

How can you tell which kid on a playground is the child of a bass trombonist?
He knows how to use the slide, but he can't swing.

What is the dynamic range of the bass trombone?
On or off.

How many bass trombonists does it takes to change a light bulb?
Bass trombonists do not change a light bulb - it's too high for them...

1 comment:

Joni Roberta said...

Great jokes! I love them!