Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Thursday 18 April 2013

School Uniform

What the School Want
At the moment my daughter is in the middle of GCSEs, this means that she is in year ten of a local Church of England comprehensive school, and that in turn means that she has to wear school uniform.   As a fairly normal well adjusted adolescent she hates it.   But then that's how life is meant to work, I hated my school uniform all the time I had to wear it and I am sure that most of you did as well.   I am sure that an important part of that is the "Had" to wear it part.   When I first started work it was in a branch of a major Bank, one of our conditions of employment was that all the men had to wear a suit and tie, ladies had to wear "appropriate" business wear.   I learnt to hate wearing a suit, once I changed jobs and it became n longer a necessity I find I will often wear a suit from choice, on appropriate occasions of course.
What I would suggest and What she would wear

One of my daughter's alternatives for sixth for is to stay at the comprehensive she is at now, but in the sixth for they no longer have to wear a school uniform.   They are however expected to wear a suit (in grey black or dark blue) or "business wear".   She is appalled at thought that she will have to have maybe three grey suits, in her view they are expensive and boring.   Yet I look at what I see availabel for women in this area and I see lots of great clothes at good prices.   Shops like Matalan and Tesco have ranges that include jackets, skirts, trousers and dresses which all work together as suits.   Of course she is unlikely to take heed of the old man's taste in clothes, but apart from that her bigest problem will be that most of the less expensive shops don't stock these sort of clothes small enough for her as they often seem to start at size 10, that and that her current favorite source of clothing Boohoo don't stock anything appropriate at all.
 
 

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

My eldest daughter wears suits to school, either black or grey and she got hers in Primark and H&M.

Paula said...

Primark and H&M are pretty good and very cheap, but maybe not top quality so I think ideal for this sort of thing, no point in paying a small fortune for a good quality suit just before they go of to University and don't wear it for another three years and then find they have grown!

LL Cool Joe said...

Definitely, plus at Primark prices they don't have to keep the suit forever, because they are still pretty hard on their clothes. Also I have to say Primark quality is good, much better than M&S which always surprises me. My older daughter also needed a lot of blouses to go under the suits and at their prices she got about 7 different ones which she rotates during the week. Also they do small sizes too, I'm not sure what it starts at but I've bought size 6 clothes for my 14 year old.