Paula's Place

Paula's Place

Sunday 3 December 2017

Advent Calendar III

An Advent Calendar from 1903

Apparently Advent Calendars first came into use by German Lutherans in the 19th Century, but are now pretty widely spread around the Christian World, indeed I am sure that many are in homes that are in no way overtly Christian.   A bit like Christmas Trees and Father Christmas they seem to have spread around the World and got increasingly separated from the meaning of Christmas.

And something a bit more modern
I know that Yule was celebrated way before the birth of Christ, I know that Christ was probably not born in December, and that the early Church attached the festival of Christmas to the existing celebrations.   So maybe I shouldn't complain when people are celebrating with no thought given to Jesus, but I will be trying to remember him throughout my celebrations, even if I do end up with a tree or other gewgaws, eating and drinking too much and being generally self indulgent.

No comments: